Thursday, January 24

"Dress Down" Day

   Most people express a sigh of relief when they RSVP to an event and are told the dress is casual.  I, on the other hand, immediately become anxious because I wouldn't describe a single thing in my wardrobe as casual.  Heck, I don't even know what the word casual means! I literally own one pair of sneakers and maybe four pairs of sweats.  There's no denying I'm a glamazon and I blame it on years of attending Catholic school.   I wore a school uniform from grades K-12, but whenever we had "dress down" days I treated them as an opportunity to put on a fashion show and showcase my most stylish outfits.  After all it's not like those hideous jumpers, knee high socks and saddle shoes allowed for much self expression.  Once I got to college and there was no more dress code the fashion plate in me really came out because I got to model different looks every day of the week!
   This weekend I'm attending a friend's birthday party at what she described as a "dive" bar and I received strict instructions from the birthday girl herself not to dress up.  "But to not dress up would defy every fiber in my diva being," I exclaimed.  In spite of my protesting I plan to tone it down a notch this weekend and you know what that means....more shopping!!! I mean if I don't have anything casual in my wardrobe, naturally I must buy something. Otherwise, I'd have to turn down the invite simply because I have nothing to wear.   My friend would undoubtedly never forgive me, but in my alternate universe this is a legitimate excuse and it really is plausible to have six closets and not a thing to wear. You're probably thinking I can pretty much justify any reason to splurge and you're right!  Sorry mom, I really tried to cut back in 2013, but since that didn't work out I've decided to go with Plan B instead and just make more money.  As for Saturday night's ensemble I'm thinking colored skinny jeans, a white tank, cropped blazer and riding boots, paired with some chunky bangles and multi-layered chain link necklaces.  Hey it's about as dressed down as I can get! 

No comments:

Post a Comment