Friday, January 25

Finishing Touches

    Accessorize, Accessorize, Accessorize!!  This is the mantra that each of us should say in our heads as we get dressed everyday.  Accessories are the finishing touches to every outfit.  They can turn a drab and boring look into one that pops. Therefore, you should never feel guilty about buying that tortoise shell and gold Tory Burch cuff bracelet.  It can be worn with so many different looks during any season of the year that it's undeniably a sensible splurge.  My favorite accessories are statement necklaces, bauble or cocktail rings, bangle bracelets and scarves.  For a great evening look, I love pairing a basic black dress with a sexy stiletto pump, a chunky colorful necklace and a blingy cocktail ring or a glitzy bracelet.  For a day time look, I would dress down that same dress with a pair of flat riding boots, a colorful silk scarf loosely draped around my neck and a simple pair of earrings.  I would stay away from wearing large earrings with this look to avoid too much going on up top so viewers can focus their attention on your entire look at once.
    As I've just alluded to it is possible to over-accessorize.  As with anything, accessories are only good in moderation.  I'm talking to YOU- the lady who wears cheetah print leggings (which are just wrong in their own rite), scrunchies in her hair (which she probably borrowed from her five year old), a tutu, stacks of neon colored bangles, and a candy necklace around her neck.  Now in her defense I suppose she could have been riding this morning's 8:30 ferry on her way to a Madonna convention.  But, I think it's probably safer to assume that she fails to understand the concept of moderation and went accessory happy instead. Take a hint from this poor lady who I just made an example out of----- there does come a point when too many accessories can ruin your look rather than complementing it.
    Many times men have complemented my shoes, bag or earrings that I am wearing.  So ladies, whether you think so or not men do notice the effort we put in to dressing and styling ourselves and they do appreciate it.   The accessory principles apply to men too, however.  Women similarly admire the few extra steps men go to tie their whole look together.  News flash guys: Adding a hat, necklace or some bracelets can go a long way in getting you noticed, especially by someone like myself who really appreciates fashion.
    The great thing about accessorizing is that it doesn't have to be expensive.  For instance, it can be done with costume jewelry.  Personally, I love buying my jewelry at either Banana Republic or Francesa's Collections.  For jewelry and accessories that are a little more expensive, but still budget friendly I am partial to Michael Kors.
   Remember the golden rule: Accessorizing is simple, cheap and it can transform your look!  These finishing touches will literally enable you to wear the same articles of clothing that are already in your wardrobe, while styling them in several different ways to create completely divergent looks.

2 comments:

  1. Don't forget eBay. Revlon discontinued my favorite eye shadow. I was upset until I found the mother load on eBay. I bought enough to last two years. Recently a friend took me to Mac and Sephora so in two years I will know where to go to find a new favorite eye shadow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely....Ebay is also a great resource! Thanks, Christy.

    ReplyDelete