Tuesday, January 15

Introduction

           I'm a lawyer by day and fashionista by night.  Shopping is my true passion, especially for designer shoes and bags.  My closets (yes I said closets!) are overflowing with Louis Vuitton, Gucci, Dior, and Chanel.  It is this obsession with high end fashion that has left me a dollarless diva.  However, I have to admit that I'm really just faux poor.  I make a decent salary, one that could support a family of four, yet I'm a single young woman who can barely afford herself.  I have spent several months of the year just scrapping by.... not turning on the heat or air conditioning in my house and eating ramen noodles and mac and cheese just so I can afford that 5k Chanel bag I NEED to have.  But hey it's all about priorities and everyone needs to make sacrifices for the things they really want in life. =) So what if I put looking good before being fed and warm in the winter? That bag was worth months of sleeping in my winter coat!  At the end of the day my wardrobe is truly fabulous so it makes it all worthwhile. 
             Many people might judge me as being materialistic or even crazy.  I beg to differ.  I like nice things for myself, but don't impose my expensive tastes on anyone.  If you want to wear that Kmart sweater and Payless shoes that's perfectly fine with me. Just don't expect me to accompany you on that little shopping trip.
              The obsession started when I was a little girl who would spend her days dressing up Barbie.  I would spend hours finding the perfect shoes or outfit to dress Barbie up in for her imaginary dinner dates and parties.  All of my allowance was spent on Barbie clothes and accessories.  Then I discovered fashion for myself! Every time I went to a family function I had to get a new outfit and matching hat.  Everyone in the family referred to me as Blossom from the 90s sitcom.  By age 18 I was working in retail spending my entire paychecks on clothes.  I had to buy every piece of new merchandise that came into the store for each of the seasons.  Within months of working I had zero take home pay and about a 100 pairs of jeans, 25 bathing suits, and 60 pairs of stilettos to show for it.  The rest is history!
            Now at 29 years old, I'm wondering why I never went into my field of dreams.  My desk at work currently has a stiletto scotch tape dispenser, a shoe calendar with a different pair of stilettos for every day of the year and a ceramic purse for pens and highlighters. Not a day goes by when people don't tell me I am in the wrong profession. "Why aren't you a stylist? A designer? Model?"  I ask myself the same questions.  Recently I have tried to tap into my innate sense of fashion. Friends and family members have recruited me for shopping trips to help style them from head to toe.  They call me on a moment's notice the day before they have a wedding to attend because they know I'll be up for the challenge. 
         Bo Derek once said that whoever believes money can't buy happiness simply doesn't know where to go shopping.  Truer words were never spoken.  Every time I walk into Short Hills Mall in NJ, 5th Ave in Midtown or Prince Street in Soho the heavens open up and I hear angels sing.  Forget alcohol or any other kinds of drugs.  All I need is to buy something new and fabulous for my rush. Last year on Valentine's I bought myself 3 pairs of Louis Vuitton shoes.  Why you ask?  Why not!?!  There was never a bigger smile on my face when I brought those gorgeous patent black peep toes, taupe monogram ankle booties, and taupe and gold patent peep toes home.  That is until the next week when I brought home my classic black Chanel maxi bag in caviar leather. 
          My obsession with shopping and all things fashion really is never ending.  I don't sleep at night because I'm obsessed with finding a pair of faux emerald tear drop earrings like the ones Angelina Jolie wore to the 2009 Emmys or with finding a pair of leather leggings or a black off the shoulder sequined and cashmere sweater.  I see a white silk button down blouse and I automatically think how amazing it would look with a black sleeveless fur vest, black Michael Kors booties, black leather leggings, a gold statement watch and gold dangling earrings.  One article of clothing sends my imagination into a tailspin conjuring up the next fabulous outfit I have to have.
           Ok, I suppose since my hour lunch is up that it's time to do some lawyering.  (Even though my mind will likely wander for the rest of the day about what my next big purchase will be!)

No comments:

Post a Comment