Tuesday, January 29

One Track Mind

   People have often told me that I have a one track mind when it comes to fashion and in response I say, "You have absolutely NO idea!" At any given moment about 90% of my brain is occupied by thoughts of shopping and the other 10% is devoted to whatever conversation I am having or whatever I'm doing at the moment.  Today I almost met my demise after nearly being run over by a city bus all because I was in my own little world of fashion as I attempted to cross the street against oncoming traffic.  Even after snapping out of my daydream and realizing that the bus was a mere inches away from hitting me all I could think about was how much I need a pair of navy patent leather Reva Ballet Tory Burch flats.
   Every time I satisfy a shopping craving by buying whatever is on my wish list I tell myself "That's it, I finally have all I could ever want and I'm done shopping for good."  By the next day, however, I've usually discovered something else missing from my wardrobe that I wouldn't be able to live without.  My mind is so consumed with shopping that even when I don't have the funds to splurge on my own indulgences I try to convince friends and family that they need to go shopping and that I must accompany them to offer my expertise.  Nine times out of ten, however, I'm usually the only person that winds up buying anything.  The  problem is I don't believe in window shopping.  It's such a dumb concept that a man must have come up with it.  I mean who ever got satisfaction out of gazing at a bag through the window of Louis Vuitton or a pair of suede pumps through the window of Dior?  If anything, window shopping only depresses me.  If I wasn't at the store and hadn't been in position to see the bag or pair of shoes then I never would have even known I needed them.  Yet to walk away from the purchase just seems criminal and it would keep me up at night. 
   While I may have enough self awareness to admit that I shop more than the average person, by no means do I have a shopping problem.  I've seen the show "My Shopping Addiction" on Oxygen and those people make me look like I exercise restraint.  After all I've never felt compelled to go to the Dollar Store multiple times a week and rack up hundreds of dollars on useless crap.  Additionally, I'm not in debt or unemployed and I don't con my friends and family out of thousands of dollars that I never intend on paying back.  Although I have a one track mind I've got sense enough to keep from spiraling out of control so no need to attend Shopaholics Anonymous yet!

1 comment:

  1. I love your blog! Can I hire you to help me with my lack of fashion sense?

    ReplyDelete