Sunday, January 27

Peplum Love

   My first thoughts upon waking up this morning were of PEPLUM! Specifically, how I need to go to the mall to find a brightly colored peplum skirt.  Per usual, I've already created a whole outfit around this skirt, which I imagine to be a rich royal or cobalt blue.  In my mind I have paired the skirt with either a solid black silk blouse or a black and white color-blocked blouse.  I envision either option to be short sleeves and to be worn with a cropped black blazer.  To top off the look I plan to wear black opaque tights, suede black booties, a couple of chunky bangles and a layer of multi-strand silver necklaces around my neck.  Viola! Now it's time to go shopping and put the look together.
   For those of you who may not have a clue what I'm talking about peplum can best be described as a ruffle or overskirt that is usually attached to a fitted jacket, blouse, skirt or dress.  Check out these peplum images:  http://www.google.com/imgres?um=1&hl=en&sa=N&tbo=d&biw=1280&bih=630&tbm=isch&tbnid=xxX2IPNlUeCSsM:&imgrefurl=http://www.coffeeandcashmere.com/2012/02/peplum.html&docid=VC0LX9QjwE9KHM&imgurl=https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEjXoutuXR5jRVUWbBGlIiuL5Yce_vOOwDZhF1MjvDjT97grRkIkwGDmQuUU43y3M9LogOtz_E5zdglLcKShrlsIfjk0e2fm52oLePkol6OZz_rV-6OrUblker2L4HfuKlaqrsMplJv4HpY/s1600/peplum.png&w=1194&h=916&ei=5loFUevrKtPr0QHrnYCgDQ&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=12&vpy=170&dur=604&hovh=140&hovw=182&tx=102&ty=74&sig=100751510919997862709&page=1&tbnh=140&tbnw=182&start=0&ndsp=21&ved=1t:429,r:0,s:0,i:151
   For skinny, shapeless girls like myself peplum can be your best friend because it gives the allusion that you have hips and curves.   While a peplum skirt or dress may not compliment a curvier women's shape quite the same, peplum tops and jackets can absolutely flatter an hourglass figure.  This is done by highlighting the narrowness of one's waist and not calling attention to the areas one rather not accentuate. 
    As part of my mission I've already scouted out a few peplum looks by Alice and Olivia at Bloomys.  I love A&O, but they are definitely on the pricer side...eg $195 for a peplum top!  So for more affordable options I have also found a few peplum skirts at Express.  Wherever I wind up making today's purchases however, one thing is for sure....I will not be divulging the actual cost to my mom.  While spending the afternoon together yesterday mother berated me for my spending habits.  So from this point forward I've decided that whenever speaking to mom there will be real prices and then there will be "mom prices." When asked by mom how much something cost I will quote her at the "mom price" which will actually be about 40% less than the real price.  I mean it's a win-win situation.  I'll have the look I want and since mom will approve of how much I paid for my look she won't feel compelled to lecture me!
     Ok time to get my Peplum Love on.  For women who are new to this look, don't be bashful about giving it a try because I promise you can make it work for you no matter what your body type is.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment