Thursday, January 17

Red Devil

     We all know that little red devil that sits on our shoulder and whispers in our ear "buy that $2,000 Alma PM Louis Vuitton purse!  So what if rent is due in a couple of days.  If I get kicked out of my apartment at least I'll be the most fashionable bag lady living on the streets."  Ok maybe that was a bit extreme and no one besides me thinks that way, but you get the point.  There's always that little voice in our heads that makes us give into temptation and apparently for my friends and family that voice is me!  I get accused of influencing people to make extravagant purchases they can't afford when I'm not even in the store with them at the time of the purchase.  They hear my voice echoing in the background saying "Buy it, you know you love and you need it!" Whether intentional or unintentional my influence is apparently pretty powerful.  The best is when my friends, mom, sister or coworkers call me up to brag about their new shoes, bag or dress.  They're so sure I will approve and be proud of them that they just can't wait to model the goods for me.   It's like I was the voice of the fashion goods in their heads encouraging them through every step of that stylish purchase. The slight problem they often overlook is that I'm brutally honest.  I can't help myself and if I think that hideous pink and brown polka dot dress from TJ-Max needs to be burned you better believe I won't hold back in telling them.
       I used to wonder how I could be responsible for someone's lavish shopping spree when I wasn't even present at the time.  Then one day it all became clear.  I have a one track mind and work fashion or shopping into every conversation I have with people.  In fact, if you want to engage me in a meaningful conversation about politics, history or religion you know you have to rope me by first talking about the latest dress Kim Kardashian was seen wearing on Rodeo drive.  My brain is so stuck on fashion that to explain directions to me people have to use fashion malls as landmarks.  To explain football to me during last year's Superbowl my sister and dad invented the concept of "fashion football."  Essentially, a touch down was comparable to scoring a complete outfit at the mall and the extra field goal was like getting the bonus accessory to match.  Believe it or not I actually started to grasp the sport with the aid fashion analogies.  Recently my friend has been trying to get me to go to hot yoga with her.  To persuade me she's had to pitch the fact that I'll have an excuse to wear cute yoga outfits while checking out what everyone else is wearing.  
         Disclaimer: Reading this blog may corrupt you into a fellow shopaholic because I am that red devil on everyone's shoulders.

No comments:

Post a Comment