Wednesday, January 30

Starlet or Streetwalker?


 Anyone who watches Fashion Police knows this segment of the show well.  In it Joan shows viewers a picture of a woman from the neck down and based upon how she's dressed viewers guess whether she's a star or a streetwalker.  Every morning during my commute I play my own version of the game where I have to decide whether the woman I'm looking at works in an office somewhere or earns her money working the streets instead.
   The fact that I even need to wonder at 8 am in the morning where these women are headed truly astounds me.  I used to take for granted the fact that grown women know how to appropriately dress for the workplace.  I now realize, however, that the concept of business attire is not so clear to everyone.  Believe it or not on a daily basis I encounter women in my travels wearing fishnet stockings, pants so tight they have camel toe, skirts so short you can see their lady bits, and tops so low cut that the girls are hanging out everywhere.  It truly makes me wonder where on earth these women work and how anyone in the workplace could possibly respect them or take them seriously dressed like that.
    If there's one thing I'm not it's ultra conservative in my dress.  By no means do I wear turtlenecks and skirts down to my ankles every day.  I do, however, know how to dress professionally while still wearing clothes that highlight in tasteful manner the beauty of a woman's body.  Women need to realize that there is a time and place for dressing sexy and the office is not that place.  While I'm not suggesting women need to be covered from head to toe in Burka, there is something to be said for leaving a little to the imagination. For instance, it's ok to wear a form fitted button down and a skirt to the office, but the skirt should not be up your ass and you should not have the top three buttons undone on your blouse.  Nor should you be wearing a pair of pants that are so low cut your red thong keeps creeping out or a white top that's so shear your hot pink bra is showing through. 
    So take a hint ladies, either start dressing appropriately for the office or run the risk my snapping your pic and sending it to Joan for viewing on her next segment of "Starlet or Streetwalker."

No comments:

Post a Comment