Friday, March 8

Paint the Town In Leather



      Forgive me Father, for I have shopped.  I made it almost one month without succumbing to the temptation, but this past weekend I finally broke my shopping fast.  Saturday night was my friend's birthday and a group of us went to the city for a night of dinner and dancing. 
      As hard as it is to believe, I had absolutely nothing to wear for the occasion- I swear that's the only reason I went shopping!  The problem was that I just didn't have anything that was appropriate for wearing to both a fine restaurant and a night club in my current wardrobe.  Because I'm a woman who has worn nothing but office attire for the past several years, my closets contain very few things that are suitable for a night on the town.
      I decided to embrace the Fall/Winter leather trend for this occasion while there are still a few weeks of winter left.  Leather is known for it's rocker chic texture, but these days leather has gone in a much different direction, taking more of a trendy and sophisticated route.  Leather skirts and leggings are one of the most popular ways to wear this trend, as illustrated by celebrities, like Lauren Conrad, seen donning leather fashions.
      For my night out, I wanted a look that was edgy and fun- rocker chic if you will.  The inspiration came from a photo of Lauren Conrad I saw in Lucky Magazine.  In it she wore an A.L.C. leather mini skirt and a long sleeve sheer blouse from Fleur du Mal.  Since achieving LC's exact look would have cost me well over a thousand dollars (the skirt was $695 and the blouse was $425), I decided not to splurge on these extravagances.  After all, I wasn't supposed to be shopping in first place!  Instead, I opted for a faux leather skirt with a flare silhouette and a pale pink chiffon button down from Guess.  Together both items cost less than two hundred dollars!  The outfit came together perfectly, especially when topped off with my Michael Kors black reptile booties, classic Chanel purse, and gold CC logo Chanel necklace. (Note: Be cautious when buying faux leather because many of the pieces bear little or no resemblance to actual leather and can look cheap.) 
      Because I was so pleased with Saturday night's ensemble I decided to wear leather again to lunch the following day.  This time I paired my faux leather Michael Kors leggings with a cobalt sheer button down from Guess and my MK booties.  I accessorized the look with a simple pair of silver hoop earrings and layered a few silver chains around my neck.  I decided to carry my Louis Vuitton Alma PM leather purse since I was going for a more casual, day time look.  I love these leggings because besides being comfortable, they are also versatile and they really keep your legs warm in the cold weather!
      Personally, I love the contrast leather skirts or leggings provide when paired with ultra feminine pieces.  They add the perfect dose of edge to basic outfits to keep them looking modern and fashion forward. And the best part about this trend is that it is very easy to work into your existing wardrobe. Fashionista tip: pair a pleated leather miniskirt with super soft tights and a cropped tweed blazer for a perfect mix of textures.
      When it comes to wearing leather (or faux leather) pieces in general, I think less is more. For daytime, leather leggings can be a great way to spice up your most comfortable outfit. They are perfect for running errands or grabbing lunch with a friend. I suggest wearing a button-down flannel or chambray top with a pair of chic ballet flats or booties with your leather leggings.  The key to wearing a leather skirt is to keep the top simple. That means pair the skirt with a classic white blouse, a simple solid color scoop neck cashmere or cotton knit top, or a boyfriend cardigan.
         If you're going to wear leather for the evening, I suggest sticking to traditional black pumps or peep toes for shoes and a ladylike clutch or chain strap handbag. Neutral or dark colored clothes work best with dark leather leggings because the toned-down color scheme keeps your silhouette looking slim and streamlined.
        Although it is probably a passing phase and I don’t plan to fill my closet with a ton of leather, it’s nice to add a little trend to my look once in a while. These leggings from MK and pleated mini skirt from Guess did just that!  Since these items are a bit trendier than usual let them be the main focus of your look. When wearing something like leather leggings or a leather skirt, keep the rest of your look as neutral and basic as possible.
       Things are heating up outside, but there's still time to embrace this trend.  Have fun and get your rock and roll edge on with these leather looks for day and night.

No comments:

Post a Comment