Saturday, April 20

Noe BB: A New Take on the Classic Bucket Bag




For the last few seasons I have been toting around my Louis Vuitton Never Full tote bag, which amazingly is always full!  What I love most about my Never Full is its large size, which makes it big enough to serve as an everyday work bag.  Also, its checkered Damier print is extremely versatile and goes with everything.  The only downside is that because it is so large I tend to carry around pretty much everything I own on a daily basis.  This is partly because when I purchased the bag the saleswoman swore to me that it could hold up to 250 lbs and I secretly desire to see if there's any truth to her statement.  In fact, despite never lifting weights a day in my life my biceps are ridiculously well-defined because my bag is always so heavy.

I've always loved LV tote bags for work, but for Spring '13 I'm looking for a fresh new take on this classic and hope to downsize in the process.  Hence, my newest obsession- the Noe BB.  Born in 1932, the Noe is the second oldest LV bag.  In spirit, however, it's as young as any bag around and still tinged with the carefree air of those newly liberated women who wore short skirts and bobbed hair.  As the story of the Noe's invention goes, a champagne producer looking for a stylish way to transport his valuable vintages commissioned Gaston Louis Vuitton to create a fashionable carrier.  Shortly thereafter the Noe was born.  It's timelessly simple bucket shape could hold four bottles of champagne upright and a fifth upside down, while being secured with a supple leather drawstring and shoulder strap.

Since its creation, the Noe has appeared in many guises, most famously LV's emblematic monogram canvass, but the Epi leather is by far my favorite.  And now for Spring '13 comes the new version of the Noe- the petite Noe.  It's irresistibly cute, unmistakeably contemporary, and a diminutive representation of the original with its own innovation- an extra long shoulder strap that enables it to be slung across the body. 

The Noe, as originally created, represented the free-spirited and effervescent lifestyle of liberated women.  Today, it's more suited for the powerful career woman who commands a stylish, dominant carrier to cart around her everyday essentials.  In Monogram or Damier canvass and bright Epi, the Noe BB is just waiting to be discovered by a new generation.  And starting in May, when it becomes available in stores, you can have your very own!



Epi Leather

No comments:

Post a Comment